Sunday, August 14, 2011

What to do when you're in trouble...

Read James 5:13-18

James is a straight shooter, tells it like it is. In James 5:13 he says if anyone is in trouble, if anyone is sick we should turn to God in prayer.

Many think of prayer as a last resort. But God tells us it's not supposed to be this way. Throughout scripture we're told to go to God with all things. Communication is the key to every relationship. Our relationship with God is no different. Closing out verse 16 James writes - The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. Then he uses the example of Elijah who he says was a man just like us.

Technically speaking, this Old Testament prophet had no advantage over you or me. He's human, just like us. But he was faithful in going to God with his concerns and God answered.

Whatever is troubling you today, learn to go to God. I've found I forget this simple truth more than I'd like to admit. So often when I do this, God reminds me to remember His word and allow His word to direct me. The other day God did this and revealed to me the need to allow the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart to be pleasing in His sight. This is straight from Psalm 19:14 and gives confidence in trying times.

Whatever it is for you, trust that prayer (conversation with God) is the first place God wants us to go. The Christian life isn't about the absence of trouble but the presence of trust in God. Talk with Him about everything that's going on in your life - the good, the bad and the ugly. He really does care and so much more than that He's capable of helping in our time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment