Sunday, June 13, 2010

Meditation is the Key

Read Joshua 1:8

I don't know about you, but the older I get the less I remember. With me, the worst is names. I may even know your name, we might have known each other for years and years but if I'm in need of instantly recalling your name at times, I got nothing. I can't remember names or they come more slowly than they used to. What about you? How's your memory? Are you able to remember details of your childhood? What about important places and dates? How about lessons you've learned over the years?

My suspicion is we all have the ability to remember, but maybe we don't take the time to train ourselves to do so. I know with me I'm supposed to be taking certain vitamins to help with my memory and you know what? You guessed it - I forget to take them. However, if I was promised $1,000 every day I took those little pills you better believe I wouldn't forget. How about you?

Here's the thing, we remember what's most important to us. Bottom line, that's the truth. I can tell you things that I really shouldn't be able to remember but I'm able to because they hold a certain significance to me. And you can do the same.

God in His word has something to say about what's important for all of us to remember. Read Joshua 1:8. As Joshua is going into the Promised Land he's told not to let the Book of the Law depart from his mouth. He should know God's word so well that he's able to speak it with clarity as he leads God's people. And God tells him the way to remember the Law is to meditate on it every day and every night. Friends, we all meditate everyday. It's called worry. Whatever captures our attention is what we go over and over again in our mind. That's meditation. So Joshua's told to go over and over again in his mind the word of God. Why? Two reasons are given. First, so he will be assured that knowing the word he will be careful to do everything written in the Law. Second, he will be successful. I don't know anyone who wants to fail.

Let's take the time to begin training our minds on the word of God. Take some time this week and memorize Joshua 1:8. It's a great place to start and after you've committed it to memory, continue. Continue finding verses, even passages, of scripture that will help you walk with God every day and every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment