Sunday, April 11, 2010

When Jesus Prays

Read John 17:1-26

When we think of Jesus' prayers it's easy to remember the infamous Our Father prayer. But this prayer in John 17 is equally infamous. Take a few minutes and read the prayer. There's so much to it that's just so amazing.

The first thing to notice is Jesus says He's finished the work the Father sent Him to do. And His work ultimately was all about glorifying God. Isn't that true in our lives? Whatever the specific work God has given each one of us, His plan is that we glorify Him in our lives. I don't know about you but when my days are done I want to be able to say what Jesus said - that I've finished the work you've given me God and in my life I've given you all the glory!

Secondly, Jesus talks about the importance of words. He talks about the importance of knowing the words of God. In verses 15-17 He says, I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.

Friends, it's so important for us to know the work of God and the word of God. Because without either we are lost and without direction of what God wants us to do or how He wants us to do it. I fear that we don't know God's word. I fear that we don't know God's word well enough to truly know Him as He wants us to know Him. And I fear that we don't know God's word well enough to be effective in ministry for Him. If as His word says - His word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path - we've got to make time to know His word. Jesus says it - it's His word that He prays will sanctify us, set us apart from the world we live in.

I pray we would be a church that would be known for our great love and knowledge of God. And it all starts friends by knowing God which is only possible from knowing His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment