Sunday, November 8, 2009

Despise Evil

Read Psalm 36

I was reading Psalm 36 this past week and a verse within the Psalm jumped out at me. Let's look at it again, it's at the end of verse four and says "He does not despise evil." David is writing because He sees so much sin going on around him that he writes about the world view of the person (man or woman) who sins and seems to not care one bit.

This passage jumped out at me for a number of reasons but mostly because it's easy for us, I think, to see the evil that others do and despise it. But when we sin more often than not, we don't see it that way. We want to justify our attitudes and actions. I believe God wants us to despise every evil including our own. When we sin, when we do what God tells us is no good for us, we need to acknowledge it for the evil it is. We ALL must get to the point in our faith walk with God that we despise what is evil, what goes against the will of God.

The rest of Psalm 36 from verse 5 to 12 indicates the amazing character of God. What always helps me when I realize the evil that exists in this world, and more than I like to admit in me as well, is all of God's good beats all of this world's evil every single day. I know it doesn't always seem like it, but in God's timing this is absolutely true. So no matter what we're dealing with we should always come back to who God is. When we know God so well, all of His qualities and all of who He is we can walk with confidence that our God is able to get us through anything.

My sense this week is we need to be reminded that our God is the Almighty God; our God is the Forgiving God; our God is the life-giving God; our God is the seer of all that is good and evil; and our God is the One whose lovingkindness extends to the heavens, and faithfulness that reaches to the skies. May our lives LOVE God (all that is good) and despise EVIL (all that is bad).

No comments:

Post a Comment